Monday, December 20, 2010

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies


I was reading over my blog and realized I said I would have this recipe up today.  I have to quit doing that.  As I'm sure is the case with many of you my week is filling up quickly with last minute details.  For example I have to get everyone's Christmas gifts.  Except for Shas's and her mother's.  In which case I made those and now have to deliver them. 

My mom also said I could take over the desserts for Christmas.  That means pecan pie, applie pie, and grape salad.  There will also be an assortment of other treats that I plan on making, but those are the big three and specific to Christmas.

These cookies I will probably be making again because they were so good and I have left over ingredients and would like to use them.

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
adapted from Guy's Craisy Oatmeal Cookies



Ingredients


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar  * I used light brown cause that was all I had
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup dried cranberries
2 cups quick oats

Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda, powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Mix in honey and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Mix in coconut, dried cranberries, and oats. Fold dry ingredients into butter mixture. Form into balls, approximately 2 tablespoons. Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake until cookies turn golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Let sit 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
 
These were really good.  In my next round I will probably use a tad more cranberry and an extra pinch of salt.  Other than that they were really good.  This recipe also calls for rosemary, but I didn't have that on hand, but will probably try it at some point.
 
So now I have to go to the post office with the others who need to be there on the busiest shipping day of the year.  I promise to refrain from singing Christmas carols unless you annoy me, then you're in for a treat.  You've been warned.
 
Much Love,
Kelli

No comments: