Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Movies

So I've seen a few posts about books.  One day I'll post about books, but today I'm posting about movies.  More specifically my favorite Christmas movies.  Or more to the point, movies I watch at Christmas time.  I would love to know what yours are so feel free to share them!

* Slight warning the final movie does come with some expletives.  You've been warned.


5. Elf.
" I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite."

"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup. "

"I like to whisper too! "

"Have you seen these toilets? They're GINORMOUS!"

"It's just nice to meet another human that shares my affinity for elf culture."

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."
There are so many great quotes and the innocence in this movie is just perfect. 


4. Gone With the Wind

My mother and I try to watch this every Christmas day.  After we finish we watch the TV Special, Scarlett, if for no other reason than to see Rhett and Scarlett back together again.

Now, since Gone With the Wind is three hours long and Scarlett is six hours long we sometimes make a monopoly of the TV.  Some years we trade this tradition in for a game with the rest of the family or a new movie, but we always come back to it.

In our opinion there is nothing more beautiful than technicolor.  And this movie shows why.  Who hasn't wanted to wear just one of the gowns that Scarlett did for an evening?  Truly a great and beautiful movie.



3. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

L., is the person who introduced me to this movie, and we have watched it every year since.  Is it traditional?  No, but it does offer the song, "Hard Candy Christmas" sang by the awesome Dolly Parton.

Since this movie was discovered around this time of year so long ago it has stuck as our sister tradition to watch this movie at Christmas time, specifically, Christmas Eve.  It used to be so hard for us to fall asleep and stay asleep on Christmas Eve always wanting to see what Santa had brought us.

This movie is something we would watch when our parents had gone to sleep and we had control of the TV for a few brief hours.  Or, when we had awoken at 4:00 am and had to do something to occupy our time before we could open up the gifts.



2. Love Actually
This is my own special movie that I watch at this time.  No one else in my family really cares for it, but me.  It has so many actors I like and the story for me was just perfect.  My favorite, of course, being the Hugh Grant story line.  However, Emma Thompson's was right up there.  Anything with Alan Rickman is a good thing.

Okay there is a soft spot for Bill Nighy as Billy Mac and his manager.  Just perfection as far as I'm concerned.  So if you like romantic movies with great stories and comedy and are looking for something this season I suggest this movie.


1. Christmas Vacation
As far as I'm concerned there is no better Christmas movie than Christmas Vacation.  And there is no arguing about it either.  My family quotes this movie on a regular basis for all sorts of situations.  And yes, "The shitter's full." is a great response to almost any question.

[Todd and Margo Chester, the Griswold's yuppie neighbors, appear]

Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark: I wasn't talking to you.  - Julia Louise Dryfus' face on this is priceless.

Clark: Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monke
y shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Eddie: Every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour or so.

And the beloved line, Clark: We're gonna have the hap hap happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap danced with Danny 'f***ing' Kaye.
 


So what is yours?

Much Love,
Kelli

No comments: