Thursday, May 19, 2011

Irony & the Rolling Stones

Ironically I just told this story to one of my new co-workers, so I will try to tell you just as effectively and quickly for this Thursday Life Application. You might not know, so I'm going to tell you that I do not have a favorite band, I do however, have a Permanent Top 3. These do not change and effectively are in the slot for #1 at any given moment. Those bands are: The Rolling Stones, The Who, and the Foo Fighters. I tell you this because one of those band's infamous song is the reason for this post. And why I think irony likes me:

A few years ago life was not as idyllic as I might have liked. I was splitting from my best friend at the time, and I was unsure as to why. (I would later find out, but that is neither here nor there.) So, in misery because I was losing a friend, and unsure of anything I poured my heart out to God, in the bathroom, listing out what exactly I wanted. As soon as I was done I turned the radio on and through the speakers came the old familiar tune, "You can't always get what you want. You can't always get what you want. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need."

I was not amused.

In fact I felt slightly insulted by the song, and did not think it was funny at all. Fast forward a few days later and my mom and I were in the car. I was once again lamenting to her about the best friend drama and told her of my story. Right after I finished telling her again that tune came on. "You can't always get what you want. You can't always get what you want. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need."

My mother laughed.

I did not.

However, as time has gone on from this moment I can tell you the words sung by the ever cool Mick Jagger, are true. You can't always get what you want, but God will always make sure that you get what you need. Now sometimes it may seem that He is being slow on it, but He will come through his time.

And as someone who has just come through a storm, I can tell you that sometimes, God will give you what you want. (If it is within his will and pleasure to do so.)



You Can't Always Get What You Want
by the Rolling Stones

Much Love,
Kelli

No comments: