Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Devotional: Dealing with Fear

"I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4 NIV)
I don't think there is any other emotion that we have that can strike us to move faster or stand completely still.  The above verse is my favorite, because when fear strikes, and it strikes more often for me than I care to admit, I say this verse.  I have also, received more peace, and I'll gladly admit that, when I say this verse.

Today I started my new job.  My trainer left for the afternoon and I had only been with her for less than two hours!  So, that left me answer the phones... massive, and well deserved panic.

Then I did what I always do when I'm in an unfamiliar place tasked with unfamiliar functions... I ran to the bathroom... okay maybe not (but I never underestimate the power of a well placed bathroom break) I prayed the above.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
With Jesus we are not fear or be anxious about anything, and as someone who gets anxious about most things I fully understand how hard this command can be.  So for you, who like me, suffer from this ailment, and would like to stop I suggest the following:
  1. PRAY - do this first.
    (Remember to breathe while you are doing so.)
  2. PRAY - do this second.
    (Remember: Greater is He who is in ME than he who is in the world.)
  3. PRAY - do this third.
    (Remember: God did not give us a spirit of fear.)
So, how did it go for me.  One of the worst days.  It was so surreal and I have a ridiculous headache, but I'm okay.  I will figure this out and for only having less than two hours of training and having absolutely no clue about any of it, I think I did well. 



Voice of Truth
by Casting Crowns

(Because it bares repeating.)

Much Love,
Kelli

No comments: