Friday, October 8, 2010

From Somone Who Knows

I know that the spotlight this week has been on bullying and it is certainly something that sits very close to home for me.  This goes for anyone who is being bullied, not just because you might be gay, but because you dare to be something different and unique.

This is an open letter to those who are struggling from someone who was there.

Dear Hurting,

I will never forget my junior year of high school.  It was the worst year of my life.  Nothing can compare to it.  I went to school every day with a stomach ache because to me a good day was one where I didn't hear any of the taunts headed my direction.

I was an overweight teenager, with huge boobs, braces, and most certainly 'a nerd'. I was not athletic in any way, nor did I care to be.  I didn't enjoy sports, and I still don't to this day.  I enjoy/enjoyed music, writing, shopping, movies, hanging out with friends, everything but sports.  But, because of my physical appearance, I was constantly made fun of.  "Fat ass, thunder thighs, big boobs, metal face, fatty, etc." were all hurled at me at some point.

I had endured some form of it my freshman and sophomore year, but not to the degree I did my junior year.  I hurt every day, I cried nearly every day, and I merely existed when I was in school.  I would never wish that torment on another human being, including you.  If I could, I would give you a hug right now, but since I can't, you are welcome to talk with me.  I don't have all the answers, nothing that will solve the issue quickly or the way you want, but what I can tell you, what I can show you, is that this is just temporary.

It may feel like it will never end, but it will.  Your life is so precious and the minute you don't think you are valuable as a human being you come talk to me because you are incredibly valuable and I believe it and I haven't met you yet.  Criticism is a coward's way out, and although it is easy to say and not easy to live through it is the truth.  Life is better on the other side of high school.  And please, DO NOT believe that high school is "the best days of your life" if that were true we'd all be in trouble.

The best days are coming, and they will come.  So for now cry, find someone who will listen, and know that you have so much going for you than what is going on right now.  Please don't commit suicide.  You are worth more than that.

Love and Peace,
Kelli

No comments: