Monday, April 11, 2011

Driving Force

The more I see
The less I know
The more I like to let it go
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Snow (Hey Oh)"

This came to me on Friday, and suddenly I had to write about it and get it off my chest.  It is something that gets to me every time I see it, feel it, hear about it, or read about it.  That is Road Rage.  This past week a little boy, age four, was shot in the back.  It should sicken your stomach when you read such stories. People being killed, wounded, and their families forever altered because of road rage.  And yet we still refuse to address the issue at hand.  The reason for such acts.  Us.

Every single one of us that drives is responsible for our actions, and never has our selfishness escalated in such a way as it does on the road.  How many times have you sat in a line of cars to see some jerk travel down the blocked road to get in closer to the front instead of of waiting in line the way everyone else does?  It is selfish and terrible.  How many of you have done that yourself?

There is a universal principle that we all operate under and that is that each of us is a great driver.  The truth is that at any given time we can make a split decision that will effect someone else on the road.  I could describe in the last week the things that were done to me that upset me.  You have a list too.  The only way any of this is going to change is if you and I decide that no matter what we are going to drive the way God wants us to.

So I'm issuing a challenge to you and me.  If we want the way people drive to change we have to change.  There is no other way around it.  You can't ask someone to do something you are not willing to do.  I know it may not seem like it will make much of a difference, but that is a lie that laziness and fear love to spew.

Here are things I want to see incorporated, and you can certainly add to the list.
  • When someone lets you in, wave!
  • If you see someone trying to get into a lane, let them in.
    (If they are trying to get in after going down the lane knowing it is ending I'll let you use your best judgement.)
  • Don't cut someone off, there are few rare cases when you don't know you've done it. Don't act like you haven't known exactly what you were doing. Slow up or speed down, but don't cut off!
  • When a driver is obnoxious don't retaliate. To help you achieve that have something that will calm you. Anything short of alcohol or drugs that will make you zen is recommended.
  • If someone is not going the speed limit, do not ride their butt.  Go around them if you can (without waving your thoughts at them), or once again find your zen.
  • Use your blinker appropriately.
  • Do not honk at the person who stopped at the light like they are suppose to.
  • NEVER, EVER stop on railroad tracks. EVER. EVER.
I live and work just a couple of miles from the #15 Worst Traffic Spot in the Nation! I'm not advocating you be stupid or not drive like you know people are stupid, but there are some common courtesies that would help ease the driving experience.

I will give you an honest account for the next week about my progress as I've been guilty of every one of these except the last one.  My dad taught me to have a healthy respect for trains.

Unfortunately "love your neighbor as yourself" applies to driving too.  So, come take the challenge with me and see what changes for you.  Let me know as good or bad I would love to hear the stories.  Even if it is to agree with you that the jerk deserved it and you deserve sainthood for dealing with it.

Here is my zen music and inspiration:



Snow (Hey Oh)
by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Much Love,
Kelli

No comments: