As someone who has traveled a lot and made a few mistakes all on her own I've come up with a few tips to help anyone pack. It doesn't matter if you're a teenager or someone who doesn't travel often. The key, unfortunately is organization, but it doesn't take much and makes you feel far more relaxed knowing you didn't forget anything!
So, here is what I do to help keep my packing under control:
Biggest rule? Make a list. It doesn't matter if you do it on the computer and print it out or do it by hand, but if you have a list you tend to remember what you need to take and it forces you to figure out what outfits need to go and those that don't.
When making the list remeber these rules:
1. Go through your every day routine, starting from when you first get out of bed. Write down every product you use that you need to take with you. Example, toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, medication.
2. When packing underwear always make sure you pack for each day +1. In case of emergencies.
3. Don't forget your pajamas. I can't tell you how many times I've done this. And shoes. If leaving for a week pick about three shoes that can go with several outfits.
4. Accessories. It's amazing what you will forget. Earrings, watches, necklaces, bracelets, write them all down.
5. Others/Entertainment. Do NOT underestimate the need for this category. This includes your phone, your chargers, DVDs, DVD Players, MP3s, and books/magazines. You will want these and be sorry you forgot them.
6. The final part: MONEY!, Purse/wallet, Passport (if going to a foreign country which does include Mexico and Canada).
7. Always pack a few plastic ziplock bags. I choose various sizes, but you should always have a couple with you. You'll be surprised how handy these come in.
Since I'm going on a trip this week I thought this might be helpful for those of you who get panicked when it comes time to pack. I've certainly packed too much or not enough, but through trial and error I've found the above points to work and I always end up having a great trip.
If you have any great tips that have made your packing easier, please pass them along!