Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swine Flu

I actually live here in Mexico, I have since August of last year. So yes, I know all about the Swine Flu. Although the area in which I live is about seven hours away from Mexico City the entire country has shut down all public events including school until the 6th. I'm here because I am tutoring for a missionary family. Therefore, my only pupil, is actually going to school at this time. That's what happens when your teacher lives in your house and your classroom doubles as her bedroom. He's protesting. Actually everyone can protest. It changes nothing. We have work to do.

I have to say I wasn't really worried about it, and I'm still not worried about getting the disease. My issue is if they close the border. I was told it was very odd to be locked out of your own country. I quite frankly don't want to know what that feels like. My tenure here is over at the beginning of July. I want to go home. I have plans for when I get home that include a two week road trip to visit various relatives including my sister who I haven't seen since Christmas because of where she goes to school.

I know this all sounds selfish and quite frankly it is. However, that is what is going through my head at this time. I'm really not worried about the disease or getting it. Even if I do the family I live with is in close connections with the doctors down here and have enough supply of drugs for me and the family. No real worries there. It is the getting home part that worries me.

I'm trusting God that I get to. That I get to go home. It's this waiting game that is hard to handle. I knew I should have been more selective when I chose 'The Waiting' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as a theme song for my life in 2005. I know I've been wavering between that and 'Here I Go Again' by Whitesnake since my time here, but seriously. The fact 'The Waiting' has been so appropoe since 2005 scares me a little. I'm really sick of waiting and absolutely have no other choice.

I know the French have a saying for this, but alas I can barely learn Spanish. Maybe that is what I should do while I wait?

No comments: